JÆGERSBORG DEER PARK

DYREHAVEN

dyrehaven

Jægersborg Deer Park: Royal hunting grounds
In the vicinity of Copenhagen

Jægersborg Deer Park’s history goes back more than 300 years. In 1669 the King, Frederik Ill, had a fence put up around the forest and the original deer herd was driven into the fenced-off area. It was the King’s private deer park.
When Christian V came to power in 1670 the area covered by the Deer Park was doubled and a village which had previously been situated on the Eremitage Plain was razed to the ground and the inhabitants were moved to other farms in the area. The old village pond, which at that time lay in the centre of the village, can be seen on the map south-west of Eremitage Castle under the name of Stokkerup Kær.
The intention was to use the Deer Park for hunting with hounds. A pack of hounds pursued the deer until it dropped from exhaustion, then a specially chosen hunter was given the honour of killing the quarry with a special hunting knife. Hunting on horse-back with hounds was popular among the nobility in Denmark for about 100 years. In 1756 the Deer Park was opened to the public.
Eremitage Castle was built in 1736 and has been used by the Royal Family in connection with hunting in the Deer Park.